MaxRequestsPerChild of 4000 should be fine.  I happen to have mine
configured to 3000.  I didn't find the root cause of my server's lock ups,
at the time I noted increased memory use by Apache.  A few months of
evidence shows the change to be effective.  BTW I'm running RB 1.5 on an
old Ubuntu release, so my problems may well have been fixed in more recent
versions.  I expect you've got server issues different from mine, but
MaxRequestsPerChild shouldn't do any harm.

On Wednesday, September 11, 2013 4:19:17 PM UTC+1, Steve wrote:
> Thanks Paul, that's helpful. We're using the prefork MPM.  Do you think
> 4000 is too large a number for MaxRequetsPerChild?
> --Steve
> On Wednesday, September 11, 2013 2:15:35 AM UTC-7, Paul Fee wrote:
>> Your httpd.conf suggests you've got mod_status enabled.  Therefore visit
>> the /server-status URL on your web server.  This should cause Apache httpd
>> to provide a page that summarises the status of all its workers.  That may
>> help you understand why you've got more httpd processes than expected.
>> Also, I've found the MaxRequestsPerChild directive to be useful on an
>> installation of mine that would lock up occasionally.  Your config shows
>> the directive set to 4000 for the prefork MPM, but 0 (infinity) for the
>> worker MPM.  Check which MPM you're using (execute "httpd -V") and ensure
>> that MaxRequestsPerChild is taking effect.  The config file contains a set
>> of MPM tuning directives, duplicated for prefork and worker, make sure the
>> required configuration is actually active.
>> --
>> Paul
>> On Tuesday, September 10, 2013 11:36:59 PM UTC+1, Steve wrote:
>>> I see the 'server cache' information in the admin page.  It shows the
>>> memory usage at around 150MB, so clearly 64MB was not enough.
>>>  Unfortunately, the load average once again climbed over 100 and I had
>>> close to 200 apache processes running.  It's baffling.  Can you guide me on
>>> how to limit the number of apache processes and threads?  I've attached the
>>> apache httpd.conf file.
>>> Thanks Christian.
>>> --steve

Get the Review Board Power Pack at