You dont need the self.settings.load() and the self.url. Also, no need to
instantiate the extension using j = Notification(), This is done for you
automatically by the extension loader.

I would create a basic extension with the code in
http://www.reviewboard.org/docs/manual/dev/extending/extensions/hooks/#navigationbarhook
(Just
that, nothing more or less) and then trying to see if it works.