So I've set it up like this:
Name: Project name
Hosting type: (None - Custom Repository)
Repository type: mercurial
Mirror path: https://mercurial_server_hostname/hg/project_name/

Username: my mercurial username
Password: my mercurial password ( yet the field is empty when editing the
repository info, donno if this is by design or a bug)

As a side note, I believe the mercurial server came bundled with Bamboo,
from Atlassian and for certain it's running on a Win 2003 Server.
Our RB server is on a CentOS 6.4, kernel 2.6.32-431.3.1.el6.x86_64