I want to thank you for the tracking branch suggestion.  I was having a
similar problem updating an existing diff using rbt -r.  It kept telling me:

$ rbt post -r 97
ERROR:root:There don't seem to be any diffs!

So I searched and came across this thread and decided to specify the
tracking branch explicitly and voila:

$ rbt post -r 97 --tracking-branch=origin/develop
CRITICAL:root:

I'm not sure why it responds with "CRITICAL:root:" there, but I've come to
expect that as normal.

So now I've added TRACKING_BRANCH = "origin/develop" to the repo's
.reviewboardrc file, and it finds the expected diff automatically.

This was using RBTools 0.5.5, by the way.

Thank you to reviewboard, and thank you to Google, in that order.