I have integrated RB with our bug tracker, a heavily customized version of
GNATS. I modified the RBBugTracker extension published by a student, I
believe, a few years back.

That extension was built for google code, though the extension has a
plug-in architecture so I added one for GNATS. It wasn't too much work to
port to the latest RB version. Mostly the init() functions needed some
tweaking - an extra argument as I recall.

The framework for trapping the relevant signals was already there, as well
as a simple admin panel. I found it fairly simple to add a class for our
bug tracker with a method to process the signals. Upon receipt of a signal
I chose to simply exec existing scripts to modify the bug tracker. If you
have a native Python API to your bug tracker you could go that way I
suppose.

While this extension has been quite useful with RB 1.7.x, it will be even
more useful with RB 2.0.  The main reason is that you end up needing to
communicate meta-data between the front-end (rbt post) and the back end
(the bug tracker extension). Right now I do that with change descriptions
but it's a little hacky.

I've not yet written a UI extension to display bug info in RB, though that
would be desirable.

I've emailed at length with Christian, who's been a tremendous help, of
course. If it helps I can help explain the modifications in more detail,
and I'm hoping to publish the code diffs.

Regards
Mark Beyer
Juniper Networks