No, you should. Not restarting can result in an older version of the code
being used.

Did you restart it after doing 'rb-site upgrade', or just after the
'easy_install -U' ?

Okay, so Python 2.7 is being used for the server and for your command line,
which is good. Means things are in sync there. However, it does seem that
Apache wants to use the older version.

I'd really like to see the full install log. I know the original is long
gone, but if you can re-execute the upgrade, and show me the output, it
might tell me something new.