Huh... Nevermind.

I mean, if you're still curious about this bug/behavior. I can answer
questions but... I just restarted the server (for a reason unrelated to
this matter) and the problem went away. Everything's working fine now.
Pages are loading faster, too. (Page load times had decreased post-update,
but I wasn't ready to attribute that directly to anything yet).

So, looks like something reset. Mysql?