What does reviewboard.log say when you attempt this?

You'll first want to make sure you have your username field set.

We check that the SSH key you have assigned in Review Board works to access
your repository. If that fails, you'll get this error.

We then, in 1.7.22, attempt to cat CVSROOT/modules. If this doesn't exist,
you'll also get this error. It's worth giving this a try on some system.
Specifically, we do:

    cvs -f -d <cvsroot> checkout -r HEAD -p CVSROOT/modules

1.7.23 will perform a more generic test that doesn't require the presence
of CVSROOT/modules, in case your repository doesn't use that.