When I try this on the command line it turns out I get nothing on stdout
and an error on stderr so that seems to be the cause.
The error was "//depot/path/to/file#revision  - protected namespace -
access denied." I've contacted my Perforce admin to help with the issue.

If I use a different user at the terminal the command works fine and the
file content is displayed on the terminal. So it looks like it is a local
set-up problem.
I wonder if the stderr of repository commands could get back to the RB logs
some how?

Thanks for the help Christian.