Reviews can cover multiple lines of multiple diffs, of file attachments,
and soon can contain general free-floating comments. To keep an email from
going out every time one of these potentially dozens of comments are made,
we assemble them into a draft, which requires publishing.

Removing the publishing requirement and enabling some auto-publishing timer
can result in unexpected behavior. There have been many, many times I've
begun a review, been interrupted for a couple hours, came back, reviewed
more, and realized my earlier suggestions in that review were wrong. If we
auto-published, I'd just make things worse for the developer, possibly
causing unnecessary changes to be made.

So in short, there's no option for this. While it is one extra click, it's
an important one that overall prevents poor experiences.

Christian