Hello Everyone,

I'm (finally!) preparing to upgrade our very old ReviewBoard instance
from 1.0.6 to 2.0.12. I've been worried / concerned about the upgrade
path.

Around this time last year, I did attempt an upgrade from 1.0.6
directly to 1.7.6 and things seemed to have worked out fine. But I
couldn't find any way of "verifying" the upgrade other than accessing
the dashboards.

When searching in this list, I found the following post where
Christian says that "theoretically, you can upgrade from 1.0 straight
to 2.0":

    https://groups.google.com/d/msg/reviewboard/jJMHfZRW7CM/F8ZcuL-SqRQJ

But this is failing for me. Here are the steps followed:

1. Run "mysqldump -p --opt --quote-names --default-character-set=utf8
<database> > reviewboard.sql" on old server running ReviewBoard 1.0.6
2. Edit reviewboard.sql and change all instances of MyISAM to InnoDB
3. Transfer reviewboard.sql to new machine running ReviewBoard 2.0.12
4. Run "mysql --default-character-set=utf-8 <database> < reviewboard.sql"
5. Run "rb-site upgrade /path/to/site"

Here's the output:
--------------------------- %< ---------------------------
Rebuilding directory structure
Updating database. This may take a while.

The log output below, including warnings and errors,
can be ignored unless upgrade fails.

------------------ <begin log output> ------------------
Creating tables ...
Creating table extensions_registeredextension
Creating table accounts_localsiteprofile
Creating table attachments_fileattachment
Creating table diffviewer_filediffdata
Creating table hostingsvcs_hostingserviceaccount
Creating table reviews_fileattachmentcomment
Creating table site_localsite_users
Creating table site_localsite_admins
Creating table site_localsite
Upgrading Review Board from 1.0.6 to 2.0.12
There are unapplied evolutions for auth.
There are unapplied evolutions for contenttypes.
There are unapplied evolutions for sessions.
There are unapplied evolutions for accounts.
There are unapplied evolutions for attachments.
There are unapplied evolutions for changedescs.
There are unapplied evolutions for diffviewer.
There are unapplied evolutions for hostingsvcs.
There are unapplied evolutions for reviews.
There are unapplied evolutions for scmtools.
There are unapplied evolutions for site.
Adding baseline version for new models
Evolutions in attachments baseline: file_attachment_orig_filename,
file_attachment_file_max_length_512, file_attachment_repo_info,
file_attachment_repo_path_no_index,
file_attachment_repo_revision_max_length_64
Evolutions in hostingsvcs baseline: account_hosting_url,
account_hosting_url_max_length_255, account_unique_together_baseline
Evolutions in site baseline: localsite_public
Project signature has changed - an evolution is required
Installing custom SQL ...
Installing indexes ...
Installed 0 object(s) from 0 fixture(s)
Registering new SCM Tool Plastic SCM
(reviewboard.scmtools.plastic.PlasticTool) in database
The stored evolutions do not completely resolve all model changes.

Run `./manage.py evolve --hint` to see a suggestion for the changes required.

The following are the changes that could not be resolved:
The application markup has been deleted
In model reviews.DefaultReviewer:
    In field 'repository':
        Property 'null' has changed
In model reviews.ReviewRequest:
    In field 'repository':
        Property 'null' has changed
CommandError: Your models contain changes that Django Evolution cannot
resolve automatically.
--------------------------- >% ---------------------------

In another mail thread, it was suggested never to run "evolve --hint".
So I don't want to run that command without asking here first.

Follow-up questions:

1. Should I perform an incremental upgrade? As in, 1.0.6 -> 1.7.6 -> 2.0.12.
2. I'm not able to run "rb-site manage /path/to/site dumpdata >
dump.json" on ReviewBoard 1.0.6 because MySQL client is running out of
memory. Would there be any problem if I use mysql dumps instead of
RB's json dump?

Any help here would be greatly appreciated. If anyone has attempted a
similar upgrade, I would like to hear their learning / suggestions too
:)

Regards,
Srinidhi.