It's occurring to me that right now, I have a bare repository and intend to
keep it that way if I can. If I were to have the reviewboard instance
accessing git directly through the file system, would it need a working
directory in order to function?

Is there a way I could set up a git repo on the reviewboard server,
tracking our remote, and simply have it fetch when it needs to verify any
files?