This is not the best example, but you can see a more specialized auth backend
here:

https://github.com/reviewboard/rb-extension-pack/blob/master/rbdemo/rbdemo/auth_backends.py

You probably want something more like:

from reviewboard.accounts.backends import LDAPBackend

class MyLDAPBackend(LDAPBackend):
    backend_id = 'my-ldap-backend'

    login_instructions = '...'

You can use AuthBackendHook to register an auth backend, like in:
https://github.com/reviewboard/rb-extension-pack/blob/master/rbdemo/rbdemo/extension.py