If there's no mailing list configured, and emails to users added directly
get through but those to group members don't, it's possible that people's
clients/e-mail filter rules/spam detection are messing up on cc vs. to. If
there's a group assigned and a user, the group members will be cc'd and the
user will be in the to field.

E-mail addressing and sending is very well tested, and the problem almost
always is on the receiving side rather than the sending side.

-David