Hi Sam,

That widget is a multi-select list. You should be able to
control-click/command-click items to select/unselect them. (This is not the
most friendly widget, but it's what Django uses for permission groups.)

There's no way to assign default permissions out of the box. You can,
however, write a small Review Board extension that listens for new users
and auto-assigns them permissions.