I temporarily disabled SELinux with the command 'setenforce 0' and started
lighttpd again. It has now started successfully.

It seems that lighttpd recommends fastcgi for
WSGI: http://redmine.lighttpd.net/projects/lighttpd2/wiki/Howto_WSGI

Does that mean the lighttpd is not recommended? This is not reflected in
the documentation. In order to get the system working, I have abandoned
lighttpd and reverted to Apache.

Thanks for your help!