My team ran into this problem too. Are you using mintty as your console?
mintty presents itself as a pipe instead of a "real" console, and so
programs that behave differently when used in a pipeline don't work how
you'd expect. The Git for Windows docs present a few
solutions:
https://github.com/git-for-windows/git/wiki/FAQ#some-native-console-programs-dont-work-when-run-from-git-bash-how-to-fix-it

We've run into so many mysterious problems that went away when using a
normal windows console that I'd recommend avoiding it unless you're sure
you're using *only* msys utilities.

-Miles