For what it’s worth my group transitioned from GitWeb to cgit a couple of years
ago. The performance increase was dramatic. I imagine there are other
git-to-http options out there as well.

Terry

From: reviewboard@googlegroups.com [mailto:reviewboard@googlegroups.com] On
Behalf Of David Trowbridge
Sent: Thursday, March 10, 2016 4:10 PM
To: reviewboard
Subject: Re: Why does a Git local clone need to be kept in sync?

Review Board uses the repository to fetch the "original" version of the files
for each change in order to construct the side-by-side view (since the diffs
that are uploaded are just unified diffs with limited context).

Updating every 5 minutes is likely to work almost all the time, but if someone
were to push a commit and then immediately post a review request for a change
based on that commit, it might fail because it thinks the parent revision
doesn't exist. For this reason many people choose to run something like GitWeb
(or the new rb-gateway) on the same server as the canonical repository, which
will never be out of sync. Unfortunately if Review Board is on a separate
server from your git repository, it does require either the local clone or some
API frontend because git's remote protocol does not allow fetching individual
files.

-David

On Thu, Mar 10, 2016 at 2:02 PM John Borries