David,

I can't find anything obvious in the logs.  Doe sit help that I am able to
run the following
code from my django shell for the site in question...

>>> import pkg_resources
>>> for entry in
pkg_resources.iter_entry_points('reviewboard.auth_backends'):
...     print entry
*x509 = reviewboard.accounts.backends:X509Backend*
*nis = reviewboard.accounts.backends:NISBackend*
*ad = reviewboard.accounts.backends:ActiveDirectoryBackend*
*digest = reviewboard.accounts.backends:HTTPDigestBackend*
*ldap = reviewboard.accounts.backends:LDAPBackend*