Hi,

We cache file lookups from the repository. During diff generation, we check
if we have the file contents from the repository in our cache. If so, we
use that as the base for generating a side-by-side diff. If we don't have
it, we talk to the repository, asking it for the file, given a path and
revision. For Git-related services, we generally need to talk to a
service's API, or look it up on a GitWeb server, as Git's remoting protocol
is extremely limited.

What version of Review Board are you using, and what does your GitLab
repository configuration look like in Review Board?

Christian Hammond