Further, the reviewboard database was created with UTF8 character set.

MariaDB [reviewboard]> show variables like "character_set_database";
| Variable_name          | Value |
| character_set_database | utf8  |

The specific error from the server log seems to be

DjangoUnicodeDecodeError: 'utf8' codec can't decode byte 0x8b in position
0: invalid start byte. You passed in <django.forms.forms.BoundField object
at 0x7f4caebd0fd0> (<class 'django.forms.forms.BoundField'>)