There's also been some experimental work done (not by us) on updating
CodeMirror (the editing component we use) to make use of the Content
Editable support in browsers (which essentially puts part of the DOM into
an edit mode). That mode supports syntax highlighting and formatting,
giving the best of both worlds. Last I tested this mode with CodeMirror,
there were quite a number of glitches in most browsers, so we're waiting
until they get things in shape and turn it on by default.

Christian Hammond