What version of ldap do you have? It sounds like it may be too old.
Sometimes the distro-provided packages are too stale to rely upon.

I'd recommend uninstalling the RPM and instead installing using pip:

    yum remove python-ldap
    pip install python-ldap

(You may want to upgrade pip before doing this: pip install -U pip).

Christian Hammond