Is memcached properly set up, and Review Board configured to use it? That
will make a huge difference in performance.

You can verify that it's being used by clicking Server Cache in the left
sidebar of the admin UI. It should be reporting uptime, usage stats, etc.,
and that it's using memcached.

Christian Hammond