Hi Vince,

Right now, don't use utf8mb4 by itself. That *is* the right encoding to use
for proper Unicode support, yes, but additional settings need to be enabled
manually on your database (globally and per-table) in order for key lengths
to not be truncated (which will otherwise break things horribly). I could
provide this information if you wanted to be a guinea pig, but the reality
is that future upgrades won't be able to apply the settings on newer tables
just yet, so upgrades can still break the compatibility.

I've done a lot of experimentation with this, and I'm hoping that by the
Review Board 4.0 timeframe that I can have built-in support, documentation,
and a conversion tool for properly enabling utf8mb4 and all related
settings as part of Review Board. I know exactly what needs to be done,
it's just a matter of doing it and having a lot of testing in place, which
we weren't able to do for 3.0.

Christian

On Wed, Oct 18, 2017 at 9:57 AM, Vince Thyng <vth...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Is anyone using utf8mb4?  We are looking at moving from latin1 to utf8.
> This article makes the case for using it over utf8, https://mathiasbynens.
> be/notes/mysql-utf8mb4 and am hoping someone in the community already has
> experience with it.  I figure we will need to look at the size of every
> text field to be sure that losing 25% of the max will not cut off any data,
> or else increase the size before switching to mb4.
>
> Thanks!
>
> Vince

> https://rbcommons.com/

Christian Hammond