On Friday, April 20, 2018 at 9:54:23 AM UTC-7, Stephen Gallagher wrote:

> On Fri, Apr 20, 2018 at 12:35 PM eric via Review Board Community <
> revie...@googlegroups.com <javascript:>> wrote:
>
>> Hi Christian,
>>
>> Thanks so much for the response.
>>

>> On Wednesday, April 18, 2018 at 5:03:43 PM UTC-7, Christian Hammond wrote:
>>>
>>> It will, yes. You shouldn't need to make changes like that. This one in
>>> particular will break applications that try using Djblets in various ways.
>>> If this appears to fix packaging, then we really need to find out what's
>>> really going on to break it in the first place.
>>>

>> I made some progress. Much closer.
>>
>> The Gentoo build that works with pip is mostly magic to me. I'm still
>> trying to figure out the pieces.
>>
>> What I've figured out so far, is that as you suggest, I need to call
>> setup.py (well, in a Gentoo ebuild, it is actually invoked via a wrapper
>> command "esetup.py ..."). I have not yet gotten it to work, but I figured
>> out several big steps forward.
>>
>> It would probably work better for Gentoo if setup.py develop was not a
>> prerequisite to setup.py install. I see why you have it this way, but it
>> makes it difficult to deal with.
>>
>> At the moment, I've figured out that I can patch out call the calls to
>> _run_pip (which were triggering problems) - since the Gentoo environment
>> already has the latest versions of those things installed.
>>
>> I'm tripping over the npm tool installation. While running package
>> installs, Gentoo creates a sandbox, which prevents access to parts of the
>> system that package install shouldn't normally need to touch. Looks like
>> the Gentoo sandbox is preventing "npm install" from working. Trying to
>> figure that out now.
>>
>> Since Gentoo mostly builds from source, I want to get it to work from the
>> tar.gz distribution, but I can probably fall back to installing from the
>> egg file, if I can't get this to work. Looks like the egg file has
>> everything built as needed, and I wouldn't need to call "setup.py develop".
>>

> Eric, I'm not sure how similar Gentoo is to Fedora, but if you want to
> have a look at how I'm doing the builds there, feel free to look at
> https://src.fedoraproject.org/rpms/ReviewBoard/blob/3.0/f/ReviewBoard.spec
>  and
> https://src.fedoraproject.org/rpms/python-djblets/blob/1.0/f/python-djblets.spec
>
> I'm sort of "cheating" with the NPM build stuff. What I did was
> pre-download all of the NPMs ahead of time and then I have the build just
> untar the directory into the right place. This avoids issues like how the
> Fedora build system disallows network access (to ensure repeatable builds).
> It's also worth noting that the NPM bits are needed only at build-time and
> don't end up in the built package.

After considering a bunch of different options, I've come to the conclusion
that I should pursue a radically different path. Since my goal is not to
build a generically useful ReviewBoard install for Gentoo, but instead to
simply get it up and running inside my company's data center, I've
concluded that setting up a Docker/Moby image and deploying that is likely
to lead to a better result.

Anyone with suggestions for where to start?

Eric.

"Review Board Community" group.