In the end it was SELinux . . . The various guides out there refer to the
settings that are always needed:

setsebool -P httpd_can_sendmail 1 setsebool -P httpd_can_network_memcache 1
setsebool -P httpd_can_network_connect_db 1 setsebool -P httpd_unified 1

However for LDAP/AD authentication you also need

setsebool -P httpd_can_connect_ldap 1

Once I'd worked out that no request was actually leaving the machine it was
easy enough to work back to the problem.  Note to self for future
reference: "getsebool -a" is your friend.

On Thursday, 4 October 2018 02:17:33 UTC+10, mujahid...@thoughtwire.com
wrote:

> Hi Peter,
>
> On 3.0.8 I had to ensure that these were installed in order to get AD
> working: python-ldap openldap-devel
>
> Hopefully that helps
>
> On Monday, September 24, 2018 at 6:45:36 PM UTC-4, Peter Howard wrote:
>>
>> We're having trouble getting our new 2.5.17 install on CentOS 7 talking
>> to our Active Directory server.
>>
>> Our 1.7.27 install on CentOS 6 talks to the server with no problems.
>>
>> A Kallithea install on the same CentOS 7 machine talks to the server with
>> no problems.
>>

>> (Note the original 1.7.27 install was done in 2014 - by someone else no
>> longer with the company - and the people in IT who handled the original AD
>> setup a long gone as well, so I may be missing a key detail)
>>
>> For 1.7.27 the setup was fairly straightforward - on the Authentication
>> Page:
>>

>>    -  Method - Active Directory
>>    - Domain Name - our normal domain name
>>    - Domain Controller - IP addr
>>    - OU name - basic name.
>>
>> Everything else blank
>>
>> Trying the same details on 2.5.17 resulted in log messages saying the
>> Active Directory server could not be reached.   A scan of the database
>> tables shows that the actual data stored for 1.7.27 from those details is
>> different to 2.5.17)  Given that Kallithea was working via LDAP rather than
>> AD we tried the same LDAP configuration. From which we get either
>>
>> root - Error authenticating with LDAP: (2, 'No such file or directory')
>>
>> or back to "can't connect".  Sigh.
>>

>> Hoping for some suggestions.
>>

>> PJH

"Review Board Community" group.