Hmmm, the root cause is that ValueError, which you should not be getting. A
request to an invalid URL should never generate a 500. Something somewhere
is going wrong, and the emails are a symptom of it.

What was the installation method for Review Board? (e.g., pip?)

Is there anything non-default about your setup?

Christian

On Mon, Jan 24, 2022 at 08:51 Josh Davis <josh...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I have ReviewBoard 4.0.4 installed. Our organization has a Nessus
> vulnerability scanner and every time it scans ReviewBoard, I am bombarded
> with error emails as the scanner tries every vulnerability it can think of.
> A single scan might generate 500+ emails that look like this:
> SUBJECT: [Review Board] ERROR (EXTERNAL IP): Internal Server Error: /
> index.pl
> MESSAGE:
> Internal Server Error: /index.pl
>
> ValueError at /index.pl
> The file 'rb/images/favicon_notify.ico' could not be found with
> <pipeline.storage.PipelineCachedStorage object at 0x7f80ac9d0c50>.
>
> Request Method: GET
> Request URL: http://XXXXredactedXXXX/index.pl
> Django Version: 1.11.29
> Python Executable: /usr/bin/python3
> Python Version: 3.6.8
> Python Path: ['/var/www/html/conf', '/usr/lib64/python36.zip',
> '/usr/lib64/python3.6', '/usr/lib64/python3.6/lib-dynload',
> '/usr/local/lib64/python3.6/site-packages',
> '/usr/local/lib/python3.6/site-packages',
> '/usr/lib64/python3.6/site-packages', '/usr/lib/python3.6/site-packages']
> Server time: Mon, 24 Jan 2022 10:31:23 -0600
> Of course the subject will change to whatever vulnerability the scanner is
> trying such as:
>
>    - /cgi-sys/defaultwebpage.cgi
>    - /ucsm/isSamInstalled.cgi
>    - /system/login
>
> From what I've found, this is caused by django trying to be helpful. I'm
> wondering if there is a way to disable this "feature". I don't mind it
> logging the errors, but I can't figure out how to disable it emailing me
> without completely disabling email.

> https://rbcommons.com/
> "Review Board Community" group.
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/reviewboard/eb75c5c2-408b-422a-adce-80cdcd9a13den%40googlegroups.com