Csaba Ringhofer has posted comments on this change. ( 
http://gerrit.cloudera.org:8080/24536 )

Change subject: POC IMPALA-15162: Add GEOMETRY column support for Iceberg and 
Parquet
......................................................................


Patch Set 8:

(6 comments)

thanks for the comments! fixed some of them

this patch is still in POC state and wouldn't polish it too much until adding 
GEOMETRY type is merged https://gerrit.cloudera.org/#/c/24534/

I also hope that I can avoid the Iceberg patching if 
https://github.com/apache/iceberg/pull/17112 gets merged

http://gerrit.cloudera.org:8080/#/c/24536/6//COMMIT_MSG
Commit Message:

http://gerrit.cloudera.org:8080/#/c/24536/6//COMMIT_MSG@19
PS6, Line 19: KB_EXPERIMENTAL mode.
> We dont check this yet in AlterTableAddColsStmt.
thx, added check + test for that
I am thinking about moving that part to parent patch 
https://gerrit.cloudera.org/#/c/24534/


http://gerrit.cloudera.org:8080/#/c/24536/6/fe/src/main/java/org/apache/impala/analysis/AlterTableAddColsStmt.java
File fe/src/main/java/org/apache/impala/analysis/AlterTableAddColsStmt.java:

http://gerrit.cloudera.org:8080/#/c/24536/6/fe/src/main/java/org/apache/impala/analysis/AlterTableAddColsStmt.java@136
PS6, Line 136: Iceberg tables, only default values are supported as colum
> We are only validating the format-version, I think we should use similar lo
I wouldn't check library here - for DDLs it doesn't really matter, its main 
goal is to switch how geospatial functions behave (return type and binary 
serialization). Also, at some point I would remove HIVE_ESRI in the future, it 
was never really supported.


http://gerrit.cloudera.org:8080/#/c/24536/6/fe/src/main/java/org/apache/impala/analysis/TableDef.java
File fe/src/main/java/org/apache/impala/analysis/TableDef.java:

http://gerrit.cloudera.org:8080/#/c/24536/6/fe/src/main/java/org/apache/impala/analysis/TableDef.java@473
PS6, Line 473: .getColName().toLowerCas
> nit: Might throw an uncaught exception if a non-numeric format-version stri
Done


http://gerrit.cloudera.org:8080/#/c/24536/6/fe/src/main/java/org/apache/impala/util/IcebergSchemaConverter.java
File fe/src/main/java/org/apache/impala/util/IcebergSchemaConverter.java:

http://gerrit.cloudera.org:8080/#/c/24536/6/fe/src/main/java/org/apache/impala/util/IcebergSchemaConverter.java@382
PS6, Line 382: case STRING:
> Should we also add a GEOGRAPHY case in here, since its present in HiveSchem
Good question, it is enticing to add both at the same time, but currently we 
have no functions for geography. It may make sense to add minimal support for 
geography, e.g. WKT and WKB functions as those are the same as for geometry. 
This is mainly a question for prev patch https://gerrit.cloudera.org/#/c/24534/


http://gerrit.cloudera.org:8080/#/c/24536/6/fe/src/test/java/org/apache/impala/analysis/AnalyzeDDLTest.java
File fe/src/test/java/org/apache/impala/analysis/AnalyzeDDLTest.java:

http://gerrit.cloudera.org:8080/#/c/24536/6/fe/src/test/java/org/apache/impala/analysis/AnalyzeDDLTest.java@4261
PS6, Line 4261:     AnalyzesOk(String.format(
> stale todo.
Done


http://gerrit.cloudera.org:8080/#/c/24536/6/testdata/workloads/functional-query/queries/QueryTest/iceberg-geometry.test
File 
testdata/workloads/functional-query/queries/QueryTest/iceberg-geometry.test:

PS6:
> Maybe we should add some negative test cases, like rejecting GEOMETRY on no
Done



--
To view, visit http://gerrit.cloudera.org:8080/24536
To unsubscribe, visit http://gerrit.cloudera.org:8080/settings

Gerrit-Project: Impala-ASF
Gerrit-Branch: master
Gerrit-MessageType: comment
Gerrit-Change-Id: I32d8c12a6b71708646fbfc06a6dd8f7aaf4f5e6b
Gerrit-Change-Number: 24536
Gerrit-PatchSet: 8
Gerrit-Owner: Csaba Ringhofer <[email protected]>
Gerrit-Reviewer: Arnab Karmakar <[email protected]>
Gerrit-Reviewer: Balazs Hevele <[email protected]>
Gerrit-Reviewer: Csaba Ringhofer <[email protected]>
Gerrit-Reviewer: Impala Public Jenkins <[email protected]>
Gerrit-Comment-Date: Wed, 05 Aug 2026 12:11:13 +0000
Gerrit-HasComments: Yes

Reply via email to