Hi Yaochitc,
Answers below:

On Mar 11, 2014, at 2:47 AM, yaochitc <yaoch...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello, I'm trying to do some test with a riak consist of 8 nodes. I tried to
> leave a node from the cluster, and I can see the ownership handoff through
> ring-status.But when I tried to remove a node, such process didn't occur.I
> have several questions about node-leaving and node-removing.Please tell me
> the answers if U know, thanks a lot!
> 1. After I leave a node from the cluster, it takes several hours before the
> ownership handoff finishes, and another hours before the nodes repartition
> finishes.During this time, is the cluster available for reading and writing?

Yes, the cluster is available for reading and writing while a node is being
removed or added.

> 2. I saw nothing like repartition happened between nodes still in the cluster
> through ring-status command after a node removed, what will happen to make
> the ring works well (I mean, operations like filling the lost copies on the
> removed node) , if there are such processes, how can I observe them?  Is the
> cluster available for reading and writing before they finish?

What process did you use to “leave” a node and “remove” a node?
The correct process should be to run a “riak-admin cluster leave <node>” on the
node you’d like to take out of the cluster, and this should handoff the node’s
partitions and shut it down afterwards. You can find more info about the
command here:
http://docs.basho.com/riak/latest/ops/running/nodes/adding-removing/#Removing-a-Node-From-a-Cluster.

Thanks,
Alex