Hi Guido,

> What's the latest non-standard version of this function? v3 right? If Basho
> adds more versions to this, is this somewhere documented?

> For our nodes standard choose/wants claim functions were doing a weird
> distribution so the numbers even out a bit better (just a bit better) by
> using v3, so it would be nice to know if improvements are done in this area
> and where they are being documented.

v3 would be the “latest non-standard” version of this function. It works better
than v2 for balancing nodes but it has a performance caveat with larger ring
sizes, which is why we still default to v2.  I will address the documentation
issue of this, but for now the source code is the best documentation (see below
for links).

> As of the latest
> http://docs.basho.com/riak/latest/ops/advanced/configs/configuration-files/
> both parameters have no default where my understanding is that the default
> for both is v2.

So in the typical case, the default will be v2, via the `default_wants_claim`
and `default_choose_claim` functions in  `riak_core_claim.erl`.  If you’re
running a legacy ring, it will default to v1 instead.
https://github.com/basho/riak_core/blob/1.4.4/src/riak_core_claim.erl#L119-L125
https://github.com/basho/riak_core/blob/1.4.4/src/riak_core_claim.erl#L140-L146

I’ve put in a docs issue to get the documentation clarified.
https://github.com/basho/basho_docs/issues/1017

Thanks,
Alex