Hey Daniel,

I wanted to know a little bit more about using withoutFetch() option when
> used with levelDB.
> I'm trying to write to a single key as fast as I can with n=3.
> I deliberately create siblings by writing with stale vclock.
> During the test I see activity on the on disk via iostat and it's between
> 20-30 MB/s on each node.
> Even taking into account multiple copies and overhead of Riak (vclocks etc)
> this seems to be pretty high rate.
> I don't see any read activity which suggest withoutFetch() works as
> expected.
> After 2 mins of tests leveldb on each node is 250MB is size, before test
> (11MB)
> Am I using it incorrectly?

Is writing in this way to a single key a good idea or will I be bitten by
> something?
> How to explain high number of MB written to disks?

We call this problem a "hot key".

When you write with a stale vclock, it will generate a new sibling every
time.
For example the first time you store your object it's just "{v1}", the next
time it will get a sibling: "{v1, v2}", eventually it's "{v1,...v1000}"
since the siblings are never resolved.  That data is read, updated, old
version tombstoned, and the new data written with every PUT. Based on your
info I would see about 250MB raw data there if LevelDB hasn't compacted the
tombstones away.

RiakObject.withoutFetch() tells your java client to store data without
fetching the most current value first.  During that fetch, it would resolve
siblings before writing the value back.  You may get better throughput by
resolving your siblings (less writes overall), or by rethinking your data
model so you're not always writing to the same key repeatedly.   Is this
just a benchmark or are you modeling something in your application?

Thanks,
Alex