Johnny:

Something else to look for would be any errors in the console.log related to
Bitcask merging.  It would be interesting to see if the unusual disk
utilization was related to a specific partition.  If it is, you could consider
removing that particular partition and running riak_kv:repair to restore the
replicas from the adjacent partitions.  I can provide more information if you
find that to be the case.

Regards,
Charlie Voiselle
Client Services, Basho