Generally this means you built a version of Erlang that did not end up building
the crypto application.  This usually happens if the configure script does not
find the OpenSSL header files and libraries.  You probably need to install one
of the openssl-dev packages on whatever flavor of Linux you are using, and then
rebuild Erlang/OTP.  Pay special attention to the output of the configure
script, and verify crypto has been built via the Erlang shell, e.g.,

1> m(crypto).
Module crypto compiled: Date: April 14 2015, Time: 03.02
Compiler options:  [{d,'CRYPTO_VSN',"3.1"},
                    {outdir,"/xxxxxx/lib/crypto/src/../ebin"},
                    warnings_as_errors,warn_obsolete_guard,debug_info]
Object file: /xxxxxxx/lib/crypto-3.1/ebin/crypto.beam
Exports:
aes_cbc_128_decrypt/3         hmac_update/2
aes_cbc_128_encrypt/3         info/0
aes_cbc_256_decrypt/3         info_lib/0

-Fred