Another thing that I have seen cause riak_kv to stall like this is LevelDB
corruption preventing vnodes from starting properly.  I use this command to
look for LOG files with the word error in them.  It is also worth checking the
anti_entropy levelDB LOG files as well.

find . -name "LOG" -exec grep -l -i 'error' {} \;

-cv