In a message dated 01/07/2000 1:44:11 AM Pacific Standard Time,
[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

<< 5. Industrial scientists are usually not interested in structural data,
their
 main interests are quality control and qualitative raw materials
 characterization. Think of cement industries. >>

Wrong assumption! The industrial scientist (that is what I am) is definitely
interested in structural data! You mention cement industries - you obviously
are a bit out of touch of what is going on in the cement industry these days.
For example, fast quantitative analysis of clinker phases is a must for tight
kiln control of the newer type of fast setting cements. To accomplish this,
what better way is there than the Rietveld method - it will eventually
replace wet chemistry. There is an entire 'Australian School' out there which
tries to get a handle on clinker phases (for the cement industry) via the
Rietveld method. - Industrial scientists love the PDF file but do not assume
they have no interest in structural data.

The longer I watch this spectacle to unfold it seems that Armel does have a
point.

L. Keller
CAMET Research, Inc.
Goleta, CA