Dear Powder friends,

There appears to be a distinction in the arguments put forward between using
powder diffraction as a tool and powder diffraction in itself as a science.

I would put forward that some of the most elegant powder diffraction work
that I have read or I am familiar with had to do with tackling a
particularly scientific question. These elegant papers do not appear
typically in IUCr journals, but in journal that address a wider scientific
community.

It is important that as users of powder diffraction we play a role in the
wider scientific community.  In that characterizing a superconductor or
ferroelectric and uncovering interesting physics or chemistry using
structure is good science.

--
Dimitri N. Argyriou
Materials Science Division