________________________________

From: Christoph Salzmann [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Tue 8/3/2004 6:47 AM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Dear all,

I'm using the EXPGUI software to refine the structure of a monoclinic phase of ice.
(ice V) The diffractograms were recorded on the D2B instrument at the ILL. As a result
of this study, we would like to see changes in the occupancies of the deuteria
positions.

Due to the low symmetry of this phase, I have to use some constraints during the
refinement. There are 14 different sites of deuteria in this phase. If the
stochiometry of this phase is taken into account, the occupancies can be described by
only 4 ordering parameters.
I'm now reaching the limits of the "Constraints" function in EXPGUI: I can refine the
single ordering parameters. But additionally, all four ordering parameters should add
up to 4. This seems to be impossible in EXGUI?

So my question: Can I use the EXGUI software AND define further constraints in GSAS?
How can I do this?

Thank you very much for your help in advance!

Yours, Christoph

Dr. Christoph G. Salzmann
Institute of General, Inorganic and Theoretical Chemistry
Innrain 52a
University of Innsbruck
6020 Innsbruck
Austria / Europe