________________________________

From: Ling Fei Zhang [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Mon 11/15/2004 6:54 AM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Dear GSAS people,

Here is Lingfei, and I am sorry for bothering you, given incapability of
reading this error-like message, when I get into the step to input the "raw
histogram input file name", i.e., what I put in is, >xr95630.gsa, and I make
sure all the files are in the working directory, there is no path. then I got
this:

"File is apparently sequential access format
Conversion to scratch complete
Use CNVFILE to avoid this conversion
Header on file:
YBCO powder Daresbury Station 2.3 2003"

by following this, there is question asking to user to confirm "is this the
correct file"...,

Here, my feeling is I have reviewed the manual and even the example data
formatting, and make sure I edited the formatting information like this,
similar to the formatting of Y2O3.gs provided, Y2O3 data dont lead to this
error-like message.

"YBCO powder Daresbury Station 2.3 2003
BANK 1 4501 451 CONST 2000 1.00 0 0 STD"

In the last row of 451, there are 9 zeros to fill the empty.

My inquiry is summarised simply, namely how the quoted message above appear,
and what that means to the user? it seems the conversion could be done by this
mechanism of CNVFILE, normally I use Powder4 to do formatting instead of using
CNVFILE. Why this conversion should be avoided, and if this message could be
leading any negative impact on the data import?

Thanks for sharing your idea,

Lingfei

Neutron Scattering Physics Group
Institute for Materials Research