________________________________

From: Nicolae Popa [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Fri 4/15/2005 2:30 AM
To: rietveld_l@ill.fr

Dear Bob,

Perhaps I was not enough clear. Let me be more explicit.
It's about one sample of CeO2 (not that from round-robin) that we fitted in 4
ways.

(i)    by GSAS with TCH-pV
(ii)   by another pV resulted from gamma distribution of size
(iii)  by Lorentz - (the limit of any "regular" pV - eta=1)

All these 3 variants given bad fits. For example (ii): Rw=0.144, similarly the
rest. (In principle if one pV works (TCH for example) any other kind of pV must
work.)

(iv)  by the profile resulted from lognormal distribution of size; this time
the fit was reasonably good: Rw=0.047. It resulted c=2.8, that means a "super
Lorentzian" profile (I remember that the Lorentzian limit for lognormal is
c~0.4 -  JAC (2002) 35, 338).
Attention, this "super Lorentzian" profile is not constructed as a pV with
eta>1.

Sure, such samples are rare, or, perhaps, not so rare. A Jap. group (Ida,....,
Toraya, JAC (2003) 36, 1107) reported "super Lorentzian" on a sample of SiC.
They found c=1.37

Best wishes,
Nic Popa

        Nic,
        This is true for the internal math but the TCH function was assembled
to reproduce the true Voigt over the entire range of differing Lorentz and
Gauss FWHM values so it works as if the two FWHM components are independent. As
for your question, I'm not aware that anyone has actually tried to do the fit
both ways on a "super Lorentzian" (eta>1 for old psVoigt) sample to see if a)
the fit is the same and b) the eta>1 was an artifact. Any takers to settle this?
        Bob

        R.B. Von Dreele

        IPNS Division

        Argonne National Laboratory