Finally, the high level of intellectual debate that we have been seeking on the Rietveld list. Bravissimi tutti

....or should that be bravissimo tutto

or bravissimo tutti

...where's my Webster's...

PS what does "indirect complement" mean?

Norberto Masciocchi wrote:
Hi Rietvelders,
here are my two cents:

"Cognoscente" is NOT an Italian word, the correct spelling is CONOSCENTE.
"Cognoscente" might have been used during the Renaissance, but since year 1500
the correct spelling has no "g" in it.

However, "Conoscente" does NOT mean "a person who knows" (from the
verb "conoscere", to know), rather it means a person with an "occasional"
relation to the speaker, thus not a relative nor a tight friend.

So, it appears that the language has evolved a lot since Latin
was abandoned...

Norberto

PS: the LATIN word is "cognoscens", pl. "cognoscentes", so
COGNOSCENTI is not the plural of the Latin word...rather the
"indirect complement" of the singular "cognoscens".

PPS: neither "cognoscento" nor "cognoscenta" are known (Latin or Italian) words...