From: Franz Werner [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Wed 10/25/2006 8:48 AM
To: rietveld_l@ill.fr
Subject: GSAS: interpretation of strain broadening

Dear All

My question concerns the interpretation of the strain broadening percentage S
as a result from GSAS refinements of CW X-ray data. I exclude Stephens'
function here. Just the "simple" calculation from either the Gaussian (U) or
Lorentzian (Y) component. Let's say one gets a value of 0.1% strain. Does it
mean the lattice parameters vary by this amount? But on the other hand there
are also the unit cell sigmas. How can one visualise this?

Thank you for your comments.

Kind regards
Franz Werner

Technische Universität Wien