From: Matteo Leoni [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: June 13, 2008 8:18 AM
To: Jonathan Wright
Cc: rietveld_l@ill.fr
Subject: Re: PDF refinement pros and cons

just my two cents.. even if I'm aware that times are not yet mature for
comparison of this type.

There is lot of enthusiasm behind the use of the PDF approach and the
number of symposia in conferences, as well as the number of talks on the

subject is increasing day after day... the true question is: if we're
given the same dataset (experimental data I mean), what can we get out
of
the two approaches? And what's the advantage of one versus the other?
The furher question is: PDF or total scattering? The two things IMHO are

different, even if there is a general (unjustified) belief that they're
the same, cause in the PDF approach "the whole information in the
pattern
in used". Well, you can do total pattern analysis without using a PDF
approach (I do it weekly): you just need the right tools!
This said, with lab data forget about PDF... perhaps with a silver or a
tungsten tube you can get futher in reciprocal space but... other
methods
are the winners here! You can do a Debye analysis, no problem in that,
but
in that case you fit on the data and not on the PDF (the PDF is an
intermediate byproduct).
With synchrotron data: a pattern employed to obtain the PDF should be of

such a quality that it can be easily used also as is in a Rietveld (or
alternative) approach. What's different there:
- in order to fit the background, the PDF approach considers features
   ignored by most (if not all) Rietveld people (proper account for
   background allows Bragg+dffuse scattering to be considered)
   This is a problem of the Rietveld approach where a peak is any
bell-shaped
   function and background is a well behaving polynomial.
   This is a weakness that can be easily accounted for!
- the PDF approach suffers of truncation problems (check any published
PDF
   and you'll see the ringing...). The higher the ringing, the higher
the
   indetermination in the positions and intensity of maxima (other
reason
   for the need of high q data). We know we have access to synchrotrons
or
   neutrons but that's not "routine work" for everyone!
- the Rietveld approach is not suited for problems showing <3D
periodicity.
   You can account for that in simple cases by reducing the symmetry of
the
   problem and considering the streaking effects as Bragg effects
showing
   anisotropic broadening (fcc/hcp, bcc/orthorhombic cases can be easily
   worked out). Also in this case, alternatives exist to deal with
   problems where structure and microstructure interplay, fully
considering
   Bragg and diffuse scattering even with lab data (DIFFaX+ is one of
them)
   without transforming the data into PDF. The Rietveld method is not
   thought to solve all crystallographic problems!
   For sure if you have a PDF then you can visually see the effect that
in
   the diffraction pattern can be well hidden!
- microstructural effects.. well that's interesting: Rietveld is usually
   rough there (exceptions exists where a WPPM approach has been
attached
   some structural information, or where proper microstructural models
   have been imported into the Rietveld). The PDF approach isstill
   lacking here and this is where things will come out in the next
future

much more can be added here but in the end my opinion is that there is
no
winner and for sure I won't leave reciprocal space methods to fully jump

on the train of real space ones. On the other hand I still keep an eye
on
real space methods as, for their inner nature, are more intuitive as
they
are directly related to the object we like to study: after all, atoms
are
positioned in real space
There is a loser, though: anyone using those approaches as black
boxes (believing they work cause they spite out some result). I'd go for

the best of the two worlds (direct / reciprocal) when data quality
allows
for that, and in any case for the most suited to my need (I'd not use
Rietveld when I have some structure/microstructure interplay, or use the

PDF when I have nanocrystalline materials). And I'd use both and compare

the results when I can do it!

> Not having a unit cell for liquids and amorphous materials does
present a
> conceptual problem, which seems to need the Debye formula, see eg:
>
> http://srs.dl.ac.uk/arch/dalai/Formula.html
>
> It seems that function is mainly used for small angle scattering,
where the q
> range is too small to make a pdf. The distance histogram method
mentioned
> there also looks interesting for computational speeds.

I'd skip the amorphous/liquids case. And I do not agree on the last
sentence, but that's another story. Skipping the true small angle
region, the Debye approach allows modelling the whole powder diffraction

pattern up to any q value....
The Debye approach is somewhat intermediate: instead of massaging the
data
to get the PDF out, you work bottom up, building a diffraction pattern
via
the true PDF (not an RDF) calculated from a real space object.
Yes, there are several tricks to get it fast (histogram and distance
binning/harvesting are among them, but there are several
others). Again, focus on the problem: the narrower the peaks, the bigger

the domains. Just guess the number of distances to be calculated for a
domain of the order e.g. of 100nm. The number is large and you would
need
them all (together with their multiplicities) in order to calculate the
pattern. You cannot use tricks: if you have defects you need to consider

all distances (ok, well Monte Carlo can help there...)
.. and we are simply skipping problems related to shape, size
distribution, surfaces, texture, etc... cause the problem increases in
computational demand. Application for now (in the powder diffraction
world) is limited to the case of "well behaving" nano-sized powders

The ideal solution: smart use of both worlds. If maths and physics
agree on the data (reciprocal space) you can stop there. If there is
still something missing, go for the real space methods. And check if the

two are consistent cause in most cases it can be done with the right
tools!

PS I am getting some of the other responses while I am writing.. so some

info can be already outdated :oD

In any case I see 3 players: pattern,   PDF,   structure
The known choices are (if I'm not wrong):
- get pattern from structure, compare pattern -> Rietveld
- get pattern from random structure, compare pattern -> "Rietveld class"
- get PDF from pattern, get PDF from structure, compare PDFs -> PDF
refine
- get PDF from pattern, guess structure from PDF -> PDF solve
- get PDF from structure/microstructure, get pattern from PDF, compare
   pattern -> Debye
with the condition that Rietveld is based on 3D periodicity, the PDF
approach is not forced to!
sounds reasonable?

  Matteo Leoni, PhD

  Department of Materials Engineering
  and Industrial Technologies
  University of Trento
  38100 Mesiano (TN)
  Italy

  Tel +39 0461 882416    e-mail:        [EMAIL PROTECTED]
  Fax +39 0461 881977