As far as I understand, the major issue is that BG subtraction changes the
error statistics (accordingly, weights applied in calculating function to
minimize...). It is also somewhat arbitrary how you choose the BG line - so,
you can easily subtract part of Bragg contribution from base of peak - hence,
bias the data. Most probably there are more things I didn't mention. So, of
course it is preferable to fit BG with some suitable empirical function (e.g.
Chebyschev polynomials).

However, some Rietveld programs do not have good selection of BG functions, and
it is sometimes problematic to correctly fit the BG - so, I think in this case
careful BG removal would be the only option. I'd like to use this opportunity
to ask Fullprof experts: is the Chebyschev option finally implemented? Or
otherwise what is the best option to model difficult (wavy) background with
Fullprof?

Sincerely,
Maxim.

Dr. Maxim Lobanov
R&D Director
Huntsman-NMG
mailto: m_loba...@huntsman-nmg.com

If you encounter any difficulties
sending e-mails to the addresses in huntsman-nmg.com domain,
this could be due to the our spam filter malfunction.
In case of such an event please send a message to n...@fromru.com

Please note that the old domain nmg.com.ru does not exist anymore -
please update your address book accordingly