Dear Rietvelders,

There is two things I would like to ask.

1. Physical interpretation of selective peak broadening
 I have a difficulty in interpreting selective peak broadening in my TOF data
of quaternary Heusler alloy.
All peaks for all-odd hkl reflections show significant broadening (about 25%
increase from the instrumental resolution for small d range and 100% increase
for large d range).
Other peaks for all-even hkl stay in the instrumental resolution for whole d
range.
If hkl reflections for one specific direction show broadening, it might be
easier to interpret.
But this time, it is not the case. (eg. 111 reflection shows significant
broadening but 222 does not.)
If I write the sample's chemical formula as ABCD, 4 sites in the Heusler alloy
along [111] direction seems to be (A,B)-(C,D)-(C,D)-(A,B) with different site
mixing ratio according to brief analysis.
One thing I have noticed is that each lattice plane for all-odd hkl consists of
one sublattice.
For the case of 111 reflection, which is the easiest case, first plane at the
origin consists only (A,B). Second plane consists only (C,D), and so on.
This holds for other all-odd hkl reflections
Does anyone know good literatures to get some hints for this?
I have checked “Defect and Microstructure Analysis by Diffraction” by Snyder,
Fiala, and Bunge, but I couldn’t find descriptions about selective peak
broadening.

2. Handling selective peak broadening in FullProf
The manual says “there is a number of size models built into FullProf
corresponding to particular sets of reflections that are affected from
broadening.”
But I only find Size-Model=14 and -2 (to -9) in the manual for that purpose.
Are there any models other than these?
And, does anyone know what Size-Model=14 is?
The manual only shows a result using Size-Model=14 (Figure 2) without any
explanations.
I have already tried Size-Model=-2 and it works well but not sufficient for 111
peak which shows the largest broadening. (and it does not gives me any physical
interpretation, of course.)

Best,

Kotaro

  Kotaro SAITO
  High Energy Accelerator Research Organization
  Institute of Materials Structure Science
  1-1 Oho, Tsukuba, Ibaraki, 305-0801, Japan