Dear Arie,

I would argue that this distinction between electron density and atomic form
factors represents an important difference in method.

If you have good single crystal data on a compound with covalent bonding, you
will see that the electron density significantly differs from the spherical
density that is assumed if you use atomic form factors to describe the system.
Similarly, in inorganic solid state compounds, one often runs across systems in
which atoms are split over multiple sites, or where stacking faults cause the
average electron density at a discrete atomic site to be only a few percent of
that of the full atom.

Methods like charge flipping can readily deal with these deviations from
expectations since the electron density is directly manipulated.  Methods which
simply shuffle atoms (with fixed form factors) often cannot, though there are
of course some model-dependent methods of dealing with this problem (varying
site occupancies, artificially substituting heavy atoms with multiple lighter
atoms, pre-splitting atomic sites, etc.).

To come back to Lubo's questions, it seems like the answer needs a lot of
qualifiers to meet the mixture of general and specific classifications that
responders have contributed.  One way of expressing this could be "Structure
solution by serial trial model refinement".

"Serial" indicates that there is no relationship between the "trial models" (as
there would be in a genetic algorithm), and "refinement" indicates that each
initial trial model is optimized by standard Rietveld refinement methods.  The
words "random guessing" are omitted even though that is what the method does,
as this may help keep manuscripts from getting dinged.  "Serial" could be
replaced by "RMC", "genetic algorithm", or "simulated annealing" if there was a
relationship between the parameters within the different trial models.

Best wishes,

Peter

Dr. Peter Khalifah, kp...@bnl.gov

Associate Professor            Chemist
Dept. of Chemistry             Dept. of Chemistry
Stony Brook University         Brookhaven National Laboratory
Stony Brook, NY 11794-3400     Upton, NY 11973-5000

Office: 447 Grad. Chemistry    Office: Bldg 555, Rm 340
Phone: (631)632-7796           Phone: (631)344-7689
Fax: (631)632-7960             Fax: (631)344-5815
Web page: https://sites.google.com/a/stonybrook.edu/pgk/home