Dear Masami Tsubota,
thanks for pointing to the paper. To be honest I'm not completely clear about the meaning of some termini used in the summary, and about the value of this new criterion. My questions:

1) What does "peak shift" really mean in this context? Obviously you discuss any difference between a "measured" or "refined" angular peak position and the theoretical Bragg angle calculated from referenced or refined lattice parameters, plotted in fig. 1. Ok, the reference Bragg position is clear. It is also known (since Klug & Alexander, Wilson etc. in the 1950ies) that numerous geometrical effects complicate the peak shape, apparently "shift" the peak maximum from its theoretical value, and that these effects are strongly angular dependent (Jenkins, Schreiner in the 1980ies, textbooks...). Btw this is how the trends in fig 1 and 3 look like. Of course, if not taken into account correctly, these effects will bias the lattice parameters systematically. Basically, the primary question is how accurate we can model/calculate/correct all these effects in our Rietveld refinement procedure. Let us assume that our peak shape model (no matter if in Rietveld, LeBail or local unconstrained profile fitting) includes these well-known geometrical aberrations of the maximum positions by any "fundamental parameter" or "ray tracing" approach, and the wavelength profile used in the convolution fits to the instrument correctly. Such approach includes besides the asymmetry also the instrumental/geometrical aberrations of the angular peak position, but of course not the unknowns related to the individual sample preparation (transparency Ts) and the individual instruments alignment (zero point Z and sample displacement Ds). As I understood, the latter 3 unknowns are included/refined in the model in this paper too (equation 1) and should be well refineable in all Rietveld programs when the pattern is good and measured up to high 2theta. So, what additional kind of "peak shifts" else are discussed her? Or, do you rely only on the systematic, geometrically caused deviations of peak maximum positions when fitted "traditionally" (by analytical functions) in your Rietveld program? If yes, is your criterion maybe obsolete in refinements applying good FPA models?

2) What does "reproducibility of the peak shift" mean? How good a peak position (or shift from the reference value) can be reproduced by repetition of the measurement (including preparation), as I would expect from the usual meaning of the word "reproducibility" in analytical work? Or do you simply mean "how good your refinement model can fit the peak positions of the measured pattern"? If you mean the latter, we are back to the discussion above that an incorrect (or oversimplified) peak shape model in a Rietveld analysis may bias the refined lattice parameters. In my understanding, such kind of bias is a systematic error, simply caused by an incorrect model, and the term "reproducibility" sounds a bit misleading in this context.

3) It is clear that systematically wrong (fixed) lattice parameters will enhance the number of the proposed criterion (fig. 2 e,f). But what will happen in a practical refinement when the angular range is smaller, Z, Ts and Ds become more correlated, and maybe additional nonsense profile parameters are started to refine and compensate each other, e.g. for more broadened peak profiles? Will the values of this criterion still give a clear indication of any systematic error, or will they maybe masked by such correlation effects?

A few cents from a personal view: Of course I agree that the observation of any systematic misfit in the peak positions in Rietveld refinement is a valuable information, e.g. for identification of instrumental misalignment, or pointing to erroneous peak profile description in a FPA model. However, to get reliable lattice parameters in Rietveld refinement with a FPA model it is a recommended strategy to admix silicon SRM640c to a powder sample, fix the lattice parameters of this internal standard to the theoretical value during the refinement, and refine/adjust for example sample transparency parameters (a typical unknown in practice) in the peak profile model, until the profile and the peak position of the standard peaks are well fitted. So we can "anchor" the correlated angular effects by the standard peaks. But this is possible to do without this new criterion, so I'm not convinced of the necessity of the criterion proposed, at the moment.

Best regards

Reinhard