Dear fellow Rietvelders,

Could anyone point me to some nice literature which critically discusses the limitations of the Rietveld method when it comes to nano-crystalline materials (specifically in the 1 to 3 nm range)? As far as I'm aware, the core Rietveld literature seems to touch this point only in the passing.

Background:
To the best of my knowledge, Rietveld-derived parameters (like lattice constants or domain sizes) should not be trusted as being "physically meaningful"  anymore when you fit the powder pattern of a material in the few nm range with standard Rietveld tools. My naive understanding of this problem is that the physical principles of diffraction (or rather the best way to model it) gradually change when you go from long-range ordered to medium-/short-range ordered materials. Being a Rietveld practitioner rather than a theoretician, and having no first-hand experience with WPPM and PDF methods, I am often confronted with the problem to explain to my "customers" why I can't extract trustworthy lattice constants or domain sizes from their nano-crystalline samples, especially if it seems technically possible to fit the pattern with a Rietveld program. I think it would be nice if I could cite some critical discussion, or overview article with further references, to put my finger on the problem. Especially in the catalysis community literature, my impression is that the applicability of the Rietveld method is sometimes overestimated, leading to overinterpretation of the results.

Any suggestions?

Best wishes,
Frank Girgsdies