Jools,

You are right. “Lab grade” bottled N2 may have enough residual oxygen to cause
problems, plus it is hard to purge the chamber properly to get the pO2 low
enough to avoid issues.  But an H2/N2 mix might not be suitable, especially if
it destabilizes his sample. Here are some other ideas:

  1.  I used to flow high purity N2 through a gettering furnace in series with
the HTXRD chamber, and that, coupled with multiple purges of the chamber prior
to starting the experiment, worked pretty well.
  2.  I have in the past used a Bühler HT furnace that had a secondary
“surround heater” option. I had some success putting a gettering wire across
these leads and running it at a higher temperature than the heater strip in
order to remove traces of oxygen from the chamber. This has the advantage that
as you heat up the walls of the chamber and release adsorbed oxygen it goes to
the getter rather than the strip. It can be a bit tricky ensuring that the
getter is hotter than the strip across the range of temperatures that you run.

However, I fully agree with you that a platinum foil is probably a better
option for Blaise’s experiment. If he has one handy.

There are some caveats regarding platinum though. It is generally more
expensive. It is readily attacked by silicon, iron, and other elements. You can
get recrystallization and/or rapid grain growth at high temperatures, which
dramatically changes the diffraction pattern from the strip during a HTXRD
experiment. The relatively high CTE means that the strip height will change as
the temperature increases, which will cause large peak shifts unless you are
using parallel beam optics and even then will cause intensity variations at the
lower 2thetas. If you work at a US government lab, platinum is a precious metal
and there is some paperwork required every time you change heater strips. Also,
if your sample melts or sinters, you may have some “fun” getting the platinum
clean.

Andrew

Dr. E. Andrew Payzant
Materials Engineering Group Leader