What is the exact exception you get, and when?
There should be nothing that prevents you from defining flowlinks and datalinks to url-less elements. Only generating URLs to activate the exits should trigger an exception. Submissions don't have that limitation and any submission will always preserve the inputs that were provided. Do declaring the embedded element without an url, but with a submission should do what you want. You can even declare flowlinks and datalinks to your embedded element as long as you trigger the exit from Java (with the exit() method) and not generate an URL for it.